Re: Notes from the GROW'10 workshop panel (GCC research opportunities workshop)

On 04/15/2010 01:07 PM, Steven Bosscher wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 04/15/2010 12:57 PM, Basile Starynkevitch wrote:
>>>
>>> Of course I do know about gcj. But I never met any person using it,
>>> and I don't know about any person or project really using it (as an
>>> example, I am not sure than any Debian or Fedora package is compiled
>>> with gcj into a native executable; do you know of many Debian
>>> packages compiled with GCJ specifically?).
>>
>> Lots of them were, but with the availability of OpenJDK and its better
>> standard compatibility people are moving packages to it.  There's
>> nothing much wrong with the gcj compiler itself, although it does
>> generate rather bulky code, but the Classpath libraries on which its
>> runtime library depends are not completely Java compatible.
>
> So our computers are spending hours and hours testing Java as part of
> the normal bootstrap+regtest cycle -- and nobody even uses it? :-)
>
> (Couldn't resist, sorry! :-)

Fair enough, have your joke, but that's not what I wrote!

And BTW, these days many (most?) of the bugs the gcj test suite finds
are bug in gcc that the other test suites didn't find.

And BTBTW, I would love to find time to use the OpenJDK library in
gcj.  gcj is still AFAIK the most portable implementation of the Java
language.

Andrew.