Re: Notes from the GROW'10 workshop panel (GCC research opportunities workshop)

Basile Starynkevitch wrote:

Toon Moene wrote:

Mutatis mutandis, the same goes for GCC: There might be too many hurdles to use GCC in academia.

This is probably true, however, the plugin ability of the just released GCC 4.5 (or is it released tomorrow) helps probably significantly.

My point is that academics can quite easily contribute to GPL software, but much harder obtain the necessary legal authorizations to transfer copyright to FSF.

My answer was not as clear as necessary. My (earlier) argument was from the perspective of the providers of the code (GCC) - it did not take into account those who *want* to contribute to GCC, but have a hard time to convince their respective legal departments (whether in academia or the commercial world).

In that case, a clear plugin interface (and accompanying documentation) can be instrumental in proving that an improvement "actually does the desired thing" and hence can be considered "the outcome of the academic research" (which then subsequently can be written up in a paper).

Thanks for pointing that out.

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon@moene.org - phone: +31 346 214290
At home: http://moene.org/~toon/