Re: dragonegg in FSF gcc?

Grigori Fursin wrote:
Hello,

Hope my question will not completely divert the topic of this discussion -
just curious what do you mean by better code? Better execution time, code size, compilation time?..

Could mean all these things as well as other issues

a) better realiability
b) better behavior for undefined cases
c) better source-object mapping for coverage/certification purposes
d) better predictability
e) better debugging information

I am sure I could thing up many additions to this list if I
spent more time :-)

And of course there are many other quality issues for compilers
that do not come under the "better code" category. Comparing
compilers is not an easy thing to do :-)

Sure you can run some benchmarks and look for missed optimization
opportunities, that's always worth while, for instance people
regularly compare gcc and icc to look for cases where the gcc
optimization can be improved

Robert Dewar