Re: Bugzilla and setting priorities

On 29 January 2010 11:09, Piotr Wyderski wrote:
> Paolo Carlini wrote:
>
>> Thus, what's the point of submitter fiddling with those Bugzilla
>> fields? Putting some sort of psychological pressure on people actually
>> working on fixing the bugs?
>
> Well, that's true when it comes to high priorities, but the
> submitter should have the opportunity to specify lower
> priorities. For instance a typo is a bug which should be
> fixed, but certainly it isn't a showstopper, so it doesn't
> deserve to be classified as a normal priority report.

Sorry for the late reply, but isn't that what the Severity field is for?
The submitter can say what the impact of the bug is, but they should
not dictate the order in which a bug should be fixed.
The Severity field is available on the Enter Bug form, and its meaning
is explained if you click on the field name (although I note that the
link is broken, it should be
http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs/management.html#severity not
http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs/management.html#bug_severity)

That explanation is repeated at
http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/page.cgi?id=fields.html#bug_severity which
is what you get if you click on the field name once the bug has been
created.