Re: gccgo language contribution accepted

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:03:04AM -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph@codesourcery.com> writes:
> > What has been decided about copyright assignment requirements?
>
> This is the general plan as I understand it.
>
> I will separate the gcc-specific parts from the rest of the Go
> frontend.  Those gcc-specific parts will be under the GPL and follow
> the usual gcc rules.  The rest will remain under the BSD-style
> license, and will move to a different hosting site (probably at
> code.google.com).  I will regularly merge from that other hosting site
> to the gcc sources, much as we do with classpath and other code today.

Just a note that GNU Classpath as a project is also assigned to the FSF
and hosted at savannah. The original libgcj implementation and the
classpath implementation were merged as projects to have just one code
base that implemented a free java core library with the FSF as guardian.
Code is merged both ways. There might be other code bases which aren't
assigned to the FSF, but are imported into the gcc tree anyway. For
libgcj/classpath this was done because it made sharing of the core
library between other compiler/vm implementations easier, not because
of avoiding copyright assignment.

Cheers,

Mark