Re: Support for export keyword to use with C++ templates ?

On 01/30/2010 01:14 AM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> I don't think you need to understand the build system to implement
> export in C++.  You do clearly need to understand the g++ frontend.
> However, it's impossible for me to estimate how long it would take
> somebody to understand it.  It would depend greatly on that person's
> experience as a programmer and knowledge of C++.  gcc's C++ frontend
> is probably some 150,000 lines of code, considering everything.

Even for implementors knowing *very* well both the details of the C++
standard and the internals of a specific front-end, implementing export
is an *highly* non-trivial task. You can probably find this paper useful:

    http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2003/n1426.pdf

Paolo.