Re: in asm: where does ".zero 2102063220" come from?

Daniel Franke wrote:
Hi all.

I'm in the process of revamping the fortran-frontend to use trees instead of linked lists in its array-constructor representation (initial patch at [1]). By now, I'm hunting down the last regressions. For one regression, I have no idea how to deal with it.

The problem: for some reason the .o file for a small fortran program may be blown up to multiple GB. The diff below shows the differences in assembler of the testcase gfortran.dg/actual_array_substr_2.f90, once compiled with current trunk, once with my local tree. The only difference is the ".zero $bignumber" - it's not overly far fetched to link $bignumber with the object file size.

It is to assume that I either dropped a required initialization or introduced one that should not be there. Simply reading the diff doesn't help me much as (a) it's rather big by now and (b) whenever I identified a candidate and put a breakpoint there, execution never actually stopped there ^^

Hints where these .zero lines are generated and why, where to put a breakpoint and what to look for -- or anything else that puts me on the right track --
would be appreciated.

Try to get a look at the -fdump-tree-original output. This should happen long before any asm is generated. Post it here if you are still stuck.

Regards,

Jerry