Approval as AVR maintainer

How does one get to be maintainer of port?

Specifically AVR port - so that I do not need to get approval to commit changes. The time it takes now is rather longer than getting approval on other parts of GCC.

The process does not seem to be written down anywhere - but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Seasonal Greetings

Andy