Re: WTF?

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009, Richard Guenther wrote:

> That's not an option.  That would basically tell you that you can get
> away with breaking the rules if you just take the blame.  And I just
> checked and none of my 12 local patches I queued for stage1 apply
> anymore.  And as usual there are big hunks that now are broken.
> And patch doesn't have an option to ignore whitespace changes.
>
> The patch HJ installed is 100% useless and so should be reverted
> in some way or another.

I think we need to take a deep breath and relax.  First of all, HJ didn't
need approval for this patch.  Whether it's useful or not, it aligns with
our stated coding standards and it clearly qualifies as obvious under the
"Free for all" category in our checkin policies.  Second, stage3 is
probably the best time for such a patch.  Third, it's possible HJ *did*
post it to gcc-patches, and it bounced because of the size.  Let's give
him the benefit of the doubt and hear what he has to say before anyone
goes postal over this.

Finally, we have a process for reverting a patch.  If anyone wants to
revert some part, it needs to be followed.  Otherwise *that* would be
breaking the rules...

		--Kaveh