Re: [plugins-ici-cloning-instrumentation] install-plugin Makefile target

Diego Novillo wrote:
On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 09:05, Joern Rennecke <amylaar@spamcop.net> wrote:
What do people think about making install-plugin not only install
headers to build new plugins, but also install all plugins that
have been contributed up to the code freeze for the release.

I agree, but we have no plugins included with the release. I think it would be beneficial to include a tutorial plugin somewhere that shows the basics. I have no opinion on where in the tree.

Diego, are you speaking of the GCC source tree, the GCC build tree, the GCC installation tree?

We could simply adapt a plugin from our testsuite, and install it...

The interesting question is: do we have an installed plugins directory? (We might have already discussed that, I forgot the details and the context, probably more than a year ago). I wish we had one:

We might even consider that invoking [sorry to be so selfish and take MELT as a plugin example]
   gcc-4.5 -fplugin=melt ....
doing the same as
   gcc-4.5 -fplugin=$(gcc-trunk --print-file-name=plugin)/libexec/melt.so ....

That is, a plugin only specified with XXX [only letters or digits or underscores, no dots, so no .so extensions, no slashes] being searched in some well known directory like /usr/local/lib/gcc-trunk/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.5.0/plugin/libexec/ . If I recall correctly, most other pluginable software have their "standard plugin directory".

I would be delighted by having in practice short -fplugin=XXX program argument to GCC. In my understanding, the current one is almost always long in practice [because in practice the plugin directory should depend of the GCC version].

The issues are:

* do we agree that having a well defined directory to contain some installed plugins is desirable?

* what is that standard plugins directory?

And then, we have to implement & document that.

In the current state of the trunk, it seems that plugins are the only point where environment variables matter, and that environment variable is LD_LIBRARY_PATH ... (because dlopen mandates that behavior).

BTW, I think that both MELT & ICI are dlopen-ing their own shared objects (in MELT I call these modules), and that MELT (& probably ICI) have some mechanism for some standard paths for these.

Regards.