Re: Whole program optimization and functions-only-called-once.

Richard Guenther wrote:

2009/11/14 Toon Moene <toon@moene.org>:

However, my endeavour is to boldly go where no inliner has gone before, and
implement -falways-inline-functions-only-called-once, along the following
lines:

(Sugg. b. Rich. G.), because inlining functions that are only called once is
always profitable (in number of instructions saved).

;)

Note that some optimizers (for example value-numbering) contain cut-offs
so that they are turned off for large functions as otherwise compile-time
issues appear as algorithms are non-linear in the size of the function.

As you correctly note, this is a tongue-in-cheek remark - anyway, we (meaning, I) have first to find out why an executable, thus constructed, gets execution times for a time step (the "unit-of-work") between 61 and 94 seconds, something that should be close to the same on every time step.

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon@moene.org - phone: +31 346 214290
At home: http://moene.org/~toon/