Re: gccgo: A gcc frontend for Go, a new programming language

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> writes:

[...]  Go, a new experimental systems programming language designed
by a small group at Google.  [...]  The frontend is written in, yes,

Neat. Are there any plans to have a front-end written in its own language (and use the current C++ one only for bootstrapping)?

My feeling is that Google's Go (quite a nice language from the slides I just have read) is almost "canonically" the case for a front-end plugin.

That is, gccgo could be the following shellscript
  #! /bin/sh
  gcc -fplugin=gofrontend.so $*
and of course we need to add into gcc-4.5 the few plugin hooks to make that easy.

Regards.

-- Basile STARYNKEVITCH http://starynkevitch.net/Basile/ email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net mobile: +33 6 8501 2359 8, rue de la Faiencerie, 92340 Bourg La Reine, France *** opinions {are only mines, sont seulement les miennes} ***