Re: i370 port - constructing compile script

Paul Edwards wrote:

> > Are you running the top-level configure?  (If you run a
> > subdirectory configure, e.g. the one in gcc/, directly,
> > things may not work correctly.)
>
> Yes I am.
>
> One other thing I did - I compiled the cross-compiler, and installed it.
>
> Then I wiped out the directory and extracted a fresh version and did
> the configure for building the host.  I thought that would make things
> clean.  But maybe the previous build had the correct auto-build.h
> that I need, and without it I get some sort of dummy auto-build.h?

No, you definitely should start from a clean build directory when
building the native compiler.  In fact, you should not build in the
source directory at all; this has been known to not always work
reliably for GCC, in particular when doing more complex builds ...

This means that if your GCC source tree resides in a directory, say,
  ~/gcc-src
you should *not* run ./configure while in ~/gcc-src.  Instead, you
should create a second, empty directory
  ~/gcc-build
(which is not a subdirectory of ~/gcc-src), and run
  ../gcc-src/configure ...
while in ~/gcc-build.

The "make" process then operates wholly in the build directory, without
changing anything in the source directory.  For doing the second compiler
build, you can either delete the build directory, or just use yet another
directory.

Bye,
Ulrich

--
  Dr. Ulrich Weigand
  GNU Toolchain for Linux on System z and Cell BE