Re: Dealing with warnings on __attribute__((user)) when dehydra is not loaded

Diego Novillo wrote:
On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 08:44, Basile STARYNKEVITCH
<basile@starynkevitch.net> wrote:

I have a simpler suggestion:

every attribute whose name starts with an underscore like "_user" or
"_foogreen" or "_BORING" never produce any warnings, except perhaps in the
plugin handling it.

Yeah. Or perhaps a variant of this. Allow -Wno-attribute to take as argument the name of the attribute you want to ignore.

I am not convinced that exactly is a very good idea. I would expect that with plugins, we'll have significantly more attributes. I don't know if having a really big CFLAGS (in Linux Makefile parlance) is a good idea.

The proposed underscore notation is quite simple, and suggest a notation to separate the important attributes (those handled by GCC core) from the other ones.

A more sophisticated variant would be to have every attribute belonging to some attribute class, and have Wno-attributes=attributeclass but I feel that is too complex!

Regards.

-- Basile STARYNKEVITCH http://starynkevitch.net/Basile/ email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net mobile: +33 6 8501 2359 8, rue de la Faiencerie, 92340 Bourg La Reine, France *** opinions {are only mines, sont seulement les miennes} ***