Re: i370 port - constructing compile script

What is the best way to go from this:

Makefile:

The easy way to convert a Makefile to a shell script is "make -n". That will print out all of the commands that make would run. From there it's a Mere Matter of Programming to have perl (or whatever) edit that down into your JCL scripts.

Hi Richard. Thanks for your reply.

1. That would include a lot of irrelevant commands - compiles and
links of the generator files interspersed with what I actually need
to go into the stage 1 executable on the target machine.

Maybe a variable STAGE1_OBJS would be suitable?

2. If the normal way to do things is to parse the make -n output
with perl etc, that's fine, I'll do it that way.  I was just wondering
if the proper way was to incorporate the logic into a Makefile
rule and get that rule repeatedly executed rather than just
having a simple "echo".  It seems to me that having a generic
rule to execute an external script would be neater???

BTW, I remember your name from the i370 md. Why were you interested in i370 at the time (probably many years ago)? Or was someone else just asking a public question and you answered it (like now)?

BFN. Paul.

else
{
/* implementation suggested by Richard Henderson <rth@cygnus.com> */
rtx reg1 = gen_reg_rtx (DImode);
rtx reg2 = gen_reg_rtx (DImode);
rtx result = operands[0];
rtx mem1 = operands[1];
rtx mem2 = operands[2];
rtx len = operands[3];
if (!CONSTANT_P (len))
len = force_reg (SImode, len);

/* Load up the address+length pairs. */
emit_insn (gen_rtx_CLOBBER (VOIDmode, reg1));
emit_move_insn (gen_rtx_SUBREG (SImode, reg1, 0),
force_operand (XEXP (mem1, 0), NULL_RTX));
emit_move_insn (gen_rtx_SUBREG (SImode, reg1, GET_MODE_SIZE (SImode)),

emit_insn (gen_rtx_CLOBBER (VOIDmode, reg2));
emit_move_insn (gen_rtx_SUBREG (SImode, reg2, 0),
force_operand (XEXP (mem2, 0), NULL_RTX));
emit_move_insn (gen_rtx_SUBREG (SImode, reg2, GET_MODE_SIZE (SImode)),

       /* Compare! */
       emit_insn (gen_cmpmemsi_1 (result, reg1, reg2));
   }
 DONE;
}")