Re: Compiling programs licensed under the GPL version 2 with GCC 4.4

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 11:46:51PM -0700, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Eh, this exception doesn't change that the GPLv2 program perceives the
> GPLv3 as incompatible.  Why would it?

Doesn't matter, because the runtime library is not under GPLv3.  It's
under GPLv3 plus the runtime restriction.  That combination is more
permissive than GPLv2 (because of the exceptions it makes).  Therefore,
as far as I can tell, there is no conflict; the combined program has
no restrictions beyond the GPLv2 restrictions.

In particular, the DRM rules don't apply; the more restrictive rules
on patents don't apply.  Unless you can identify a specific restriction
that isn't waived by the runtime exception license, then I don't see
the problem.