Re: Failure building current 4.5 snapshot on Cygwin

2009/6/26 Tim Prince <TimothyPrince@sbcglobal.net>:
> Kai Tietz wrote:

>>> I have also seen similar faulure, and the reason on my environment is as
>>> follows.
>>>
>>> (1) In my case, gcc build complete successfully. ?But a.exe which is
>>> compiled from the new compiler fails. Error message is
>>>
>>> $ ./a.exe
>>> bash: ./a.exe: Permission denied
>>>
>>> Source code of a.exe is quite simple:
>>> main()
>>> {
>>> ?printf("Hello\n");
>>> }
>>>
>>> (2) This failuer occurres from gcc trunk r148408. ?r148407 is OK.
>>>
>>> (3) r148408 removed "#ifdef DEBUG_PUBTYPES_SECTION". ?r148407 does not
>>> generate debug_pubtypes section, but r148408 and later version generates
>>> ?debug_pubtypes section in object when we set debug option.
>>>
>>> (4) gcc build sequence usually uses debug option.
>>>
>>> (5) My cygwin environment seems not to accept debug_pubtypes section, and
>>> pop up "Permission denied" error.
>>>
>>> When I reverted "#ifdef DEBUG_PUBTYPES_SECTION" in dearf2out.c, the
>>> failuer
>>> disappeared.
>>>
>>> Does this failure occurr only on cygwin?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Seiji Kachi
>>>

>> No, this bug appeared on all windows pe-coff targets. A fix for this
>> is already checked in yesterday on binutils. Could you try it with the
>> current binutils head version?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Kai
>>

> Is this supposed to be sufficient information for us to find that binutils?
> ?I may be able to find an insider colleague, otherwise I would have no
> chance.

Hello,

you can find the binutils project as usual under
http://sources.redhat.com/binutils/ . You can find on this page how
you are able to get current cvs version of binutils. This project
contains the gnu tools, like dlltool, as, objcopy, ld, etc.
The issue you are running in is reasoned by a failure in binutils
about setting correct section flags for debugging sections. By the
last change in gcc - it was the output of the .debug_pubtypes secton -
this issue was shown.
There is a patch already applied to binutils's repository head, which
should solve the issue described here in this thread. We from
mingw-w64 were fallen already over this issue and have taken care.

Cheers,
Kai