Re: i370 port

On Sat, 6 Jun 2009, Paul Edwards wrote:

> > There is no need for the target to be able to run shell scripts or makes.
> > You would need to write your own DejaGnu board file that deals with copying
> > to/from the i370 system and running programs there.  The testsuite routinely
> > runs for much more limited embedded systems (using appropriate board files).
>
> I have a large backlog of work to do with the i370 port already, starting
> with getting gcc 3.4.6 running natively.  Isn't that a more productive
> thing to do?  Even after 3.4.6 is done, so that every scrap of code is
> available, then there's version 4 to do!

It's up to you what priorities you assign to different things involved in
getting this on mainline, but we use test results postings as evidence of
what sort of state each port is in, where a particular test failure is
appearing and whether each port is being used, so there may be reluctance
to accept a port that will not have test results posted regularly for
mainline.  (This is much less of a problem for OS ports than for CPU
ports; if one OS for a given CPU has results routinely posted, it doesn't
matter so much if other OSes don't, though having results for different
OSes is still useful.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com