Re: STRIP_NOPS and lower-precision/bit-field types

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009, Adam Nemet wrote:

> 1. Change STRIP_NOPS not to remove the cast if it's changing the precision
> (not just when it changes machine modes).  And then audit code quality where
> we need to and are allowed to look through these casts.

As I said in <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2007-03/msg02228.html> and
<http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2008-01/msg00215.html>, I think such references
to the mode are as a proxy for precision and machine modes are an
inappropriate level of abstraction for the tree optimizers.  So I favour
checking for precision here - but I also favour having a good look at
anything using STRIP_NOPS etc. and considering whether it should use some
better defined function for removing redundant conversions instead.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com