plugins & howto & generators

Hello All,

We now have plugins and they are somehow documented. http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/Plugins.html

Perhaps we might document how to build a plugin? (Or should we not bother?)

In particular, I am not entirely sure to understand plugin from a "purely" user perspective, for instance the Debian/Sid user in 2010 who did install the hypothetical gcc-4.5 & gcc-4.5-dev debian packages (which do not exist today AFAIK).

I am specifically thinking of future users who do not compile GCC from its source. Those who do compile GCC are able to compile the plugins, since we have testcases for that, showing them how to make plugins.

Should we tell them (the other users using the future gcc-4.5-dev Debian package) in our documentation how to build a plugin (I mean what are the actual commands to run, what kind of Makefile for them, what are the required CFLAGS or -I... path, etc..), or should that be left to e.g. linux distribution packagers?

In addition, I tend to believe that some of the generators currently used inside GCC, (i.e. the gen* executables in the gcc/build directory of the build tree) could be useful to some (not all) expert plugin developers.

In particular, one could imagine that a future version of gengtype (not the one currently in the trunk rev.147912) could be enhenced to be useable by plugin developers. I am specifically thinking of adding a mode to run it for plugins using the PLUGIN_REGISTER_GGC_ROOTS pseudo-event.

I am considering enhancing the gengtype tool so that
 gengtype --plugin yourplugin.c gt-yourplugin.h
would generate the gt-yourplugin.h neede in yourplugin.c

Comments are welcome.

Regards.