Re: Question about top-level configure code and in-tree builds

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> Add a new shell variable in configure.ac extra_mpfr_configure_args.  Set
> it to what you want to pass to the mpfr configure.  Call
> AC_SUBST(extra_mpfr_configure_args).  In Makefile.in add a line
> EXTRA_MPFR_CONFIGURE_ARGS = @extra_mpfr_configure_args@.  In
> Makefile.def change the host_modules entry for module=mpfr to replace
> --with-gmp-build=$$r/$(HOST_SUBDIR)/gmp with
> $(EXTRA_MPFR_CONFIGURE_ARGS).  Run autoconf and autogen.
>
> Easy as cake.

Ah, but cake is only easy when someone else bakes it. :-)

Anyway, thanks for the laser-like specific answer, that was extremely
helpful.  I'm testing a patch, but I have two notes to run by you.

1.  You mentioned adding EXTRA_MPFR_CONFIGURE_ARGS to Makefile.in.  (I
think you mean Makefile.tpl, cause Makefile.in is generated?)  Anyway, I
managed to avoid adding the intermediate make variable and just put
@extra_mpfr_configure_args@ in the module=mpfr entry and it worked.  Is
there some stylistic or syntactic reason to use the intermediate variable?
It doesn't seem to be done 100% consistently.

2.  In my previous message I said that mpfr worked by chance and the bug
was latent but the situation fragile.  That is true for mpfr-2.3.2.
However the mpfr-2.4.1 tarball hard-errors on a double --with-gmp*,
apparently by design.  E.g. this is from building an unpatched gcc with
in-tree mpfr-2.4.1 plus the configure flag --with-gmp=/opt/...

 > configure: error: Do not use --with-gmp-build and other --with-gmp options simultaneously.
 > See `config.log' for more details.
 > make[1]: *** [configure-mpfr] Error 1

So IMHO when I finish testing we should install the patch on all active
branches to forestall any issues when people upgrade to the later mpfr
releases.

		Regards,
		--Kaveh