Re: My plans on EH infrastructure

2009/4/8 Sylvain Pion <Sylvain.Pion@sophia.inria.fr>:

> Maybe, but for exceptions which are relatively local, say, inside a given
> library, the user can assume that GCC has switched to the "local ABI" with
> fast internal exceptions, since he may have compiled the library as one
> translation unit, so he may be able to control the possible scope of the
> exceptions.  And so he may be able to make a good guess about what the
> costs will be.
> My application has this property, but again, maybe it's only me.

You are not alone.  I've seen people refrain from using exceptions
(which provide better support for error report and recovery, compared to
alternatives) because the compilers they were using did not exploit
available local information.  Other compilers, you've mention, do however
optimize accordingly.  I think it would be great if GCC could be made
competitive in that area.

-- Gaby