Re: GCC 4.4.0 Status Report (2009-03-13)

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 08:17:42AM -0700, Richard Kenner wrote:
> > It was my understanding that it was a compromise, but the
> > EGCS community retains all rights to make technical
> > decisions without disruptive interferences from FSF
>
> Your understanding is incorrect.  Independence from the FSF was never an
> issue.

Well, not quite.  We talked about that a lot when we were trying to
put things back together.  We asked for a degree of independence, which
really meant that the FSF would trust the GCC developers to do things
right, and not to micromanage, and that the GCC developers would follow
free software principles.  Brad Kuhn said something to the effect that
he considered RMS the expert when it came to promoting the idea of
free software, but on technical matters RMS is just another developer.