Re: GCC 4.4.0 Status Report (2009-03-13)

> Btw, I cannot find anything related to this discussion (about whether
> and what power the FSF has to force their maintainers to do anything)
> in the official FSF documentation (http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/).

I can: it's the very first sentence:

    This file contains guidelines and advice for someone who is the
    maintainer of a GNU program on behalf of the GNU Project.

This clearly says that the maintainer is acting "on behalf" of the GNU
Project.  That means they act as the AGENT of the GNU project.  When you
act as somebody's agent, your authority derives from that person.