Re: GCC 4.4.0 Status Report (2009-03-13)

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 1:30 AM, Richard Kenner
<kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu> wrote:
>> This is the FSF's official GCC repository. ?In the FSF's repository, I
>> think we have to honor FSF instructions. ?In a separate repository --
>> or, I suppose, if we explicitly told the FSF not to consider this their
>> official GCC repository -- the GPL of course gives us the freedom to do
>> as we please with respect to technical decisions.
>
> I think you missed Daniel's point, though. ?I think he was addressing the
> issue that you raised about "playing in a different sandbox". ?I think he's
> right that, if you took a vote, most *developers* wouldn't care whether it
> was the FSF sandbox or some other, but I think that misses the point about
> the effects on the community of GCC *consumers* (and I mostly mean system
> integrators, not users) if the most heavily-developed version of GCC isn't
> the official FSF one. ?We had this situation with EGCS and we don't need to
> do it again.

I think the community of GCC consumers also doesn't care which sandbox
the developers play in, as long as they're all playing in the same
sandbox.  But maybe I'm wrong, and maybe that's why I've never been
able to understand why EGCS merged back into the FSF GCC in the first
place...

Ciao!
Steven