Re: GCC 4.4.0 Status Report (2009-03-13)

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 6:47 PM, Dave Korn
<dave.korn.cygwin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Steven Bosscher wrote:
>
>> Or ship as-is and fix the license for GCC 4.5. ?I haven't followed the
>> legal discussion -- so maybe I'm being naive or I've missed it -- but
>> I haven't seen anyone explaining why this is not an option.
>
> ?I can see why that won't work. ?If there's a problem with the current
> licence that would open a backdoor to proprietary plugins, and we ever release
> the code under that licence, evaders will be able to maintain a fork under the
> original licence no matter how we subsequently relicense it.

And this is the legal concern raised about the current license?  I
thought the problem was that the license was too restraining...  But
if what you say here is the issue, then I understand the reasons
better now.

> ?BTW, re your initial post ...
>
> Steven Bosscher wrote:
>>
>> This is the saddest thing that I have seen in GCC politics so far.
>
> ?IMO if a few weeks delay to sort out a really complicated legal technicality
> is the saddest thing you've seen so far, we can't be doing that badly.

It's not a few weeks.  It is months already.  And who knows how much
longer it can take.

But you're right, there actually are sadder things... ;-)

Gr.
Steven