Re: GCC Compile Farm News: 12 architectures now available

> Hi,
>
> Thanks to many donors of both hosting and machines the architecture
> coverage of the GCC Compile Farm has been greatly expanded
> in the recent monthes:
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/CompileFarm

I think this is excellent.

Will you be installing baseline Solaris machines that ensure testing is
done for the vast number of Solaris comercial users out there? When I say
"commercial" I mean the older legacy Solaris 8 releases. We currently
cover this at Blastwave.org all the way back to the very old Sun Sparc
sun4m architecture and in this way we know that anything we compile will
run across the whole Solaris suite from Solaris 8 upwards on anything with
a Sparc chip. The x86 world is somewhat more messy and in this regard we
use a Pentium III based machine with Solaris 8. I note that you have
Solaris 10 there in your farm but only for Sparc and no representation for
Solaris on x86 or OpenSolaris for that matter. Therefore your test farm
will not verify functionality on anything older than Solaris 10 and only
on Sparc. That should be "good enough" but not exactly what I would call
commercial grade testing.

Is this because only Sparc Solaris is on your Primary Platform List?

Dennis Clarke                       dclarke@blastwave.org
Director Blastwave.org                   905 - 373 - 9441
Open Source Services for Solaris http://www.blastwave.org
Further Info at  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blastwave