Split Stacks proposal

I've put a project proposal for split stacks on the wiki at
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SplitStacks .  The idea is to permit the stack
of a single thread to be split into discontiguous segments, thus
permitting many more threads to be active at one time without worrying
about stack overflow or about wasting lots of stack space for inactive
threads.  The compiler would have to generate code to support detecting
when new stack space is needed, and to deal with some of the
consequences of moving to a new stack.

I would be interested in hearing comments about this.

I'm not currently working on this, but I may start working on it at some
point.

Ian