targed.md: copy_to_mode_reg or force_reg?

Hi,

in machine description expanders the functions copy_to_mode_reg and and force_reg from explow.c can be used to ensure that an operand lives in a register.

But what function should be used?
What are the differences? The only difference I can depict from the comment is that an operand returned by force_reg must not be altered, i.e. overwritten afterwards.

Are there any pitfalls using these functions with respect to reload_completed, reload_in_progress or no_new_pseudos?

As far as I understand, these function can only be used if no_new_pseudos is false.

Thanks, Georg-Johann