Re: proposal for improved management bugzilla priorities/release criteria

Paolo Bonzini wrote:

>> I think the only reasonable release criteria is zero P1 regressions over
>> some period.  50 P2 regressions doesn't make a release blocker, neither
>> is 49 P2 regressions a clear sign for a non-blocked release.
>
> I agree.

I mostly agree.  P1 regressions are, by definition, Really Bad.  In the
past, we've sometimes had to release in that state because it was clear
that there was no reasonable way to get the P1 regression fixed.  But,
that's not what we want to do.

However, I don't agree that P2 regressions aren't a factor.  If we have
a ton of crashing on wrong-code, etc., regressions that adds up to a
release that won't work well for people.

I don't think there can be, or need to be, completely bright-line rules.
 We need human beings to use their judgment about when the release is
good enough to go out the door.  So, I'm all for guidelines, and I agree
that 49 vs. 50 isn't itself a big deal.  But, I think that Paolo's
criterion should not be interpreted literally.

Thanks,

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery