Re: [plugins] Branch for plugins development created

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 16:04, Basile STARYNKEVITCH
<basile@starynkevitch.net> wrote:

> But given that most people agree that (since the plugin idea is not too
> ambitious) the plugin effort is not a big one (e.g. much much smaller than
> your heroic old-gimple => tuple work) why did'nt you consider accepting
> plugin related stuff into trunk?

Because we are not in stage 1.  Unless a patch is very small, carrying
it around is a hassle, particularly when the group of folks interested
in testing it out is large as in this case.

> Or is the current stage of the trunk still in a phase where plugin related
> stuff are not accepted?

Right.

> My point is that by creating a plugin branch, we have to duplicate the
> review effort, since every thing has to be reviewed twice (once to be
> admittted into the plugin branch; once to be transported from plugin branch
> to trunk). And review time (& reviewers effort) is the most scare resource
> in GCC.

There will be additional review when the merge is proposed, but given
the review during the lifetime of the branch, it should not take too
long.  I will propose merging the branch into mainline during the next
stage 1, if the branch is ready (we can decide what 'ready' means
later).

Diego.