Re: [plugins] Branch for plugins development created

Diego Novillo wrote:
I have created the plugins branch (rev. 143989).  As I offered before,
I will help maintain the branch synchronized with mainline and with
patch reviews.  The branch can be checked out with

$ svn co svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/branches/plugins

Thanks for the effort Diego.

But given that most people agree that (since the plugin idea is not too ambitious) the plugin effort is not a big one (e.g. much much smaller than your heroic old-gimple => tuple work) why did'nt you consider accepting plugin related stuff into trunk? I thought that after various plugin experimentations, the most terrific obstacle was the legal issues on licensing (i.e. the runtime exception) which have just been settled.

Or is the current stage of the trunk still in a phase where plugin related stuff are not accepted?

My point is that by creating a plugin branch, we have to duplicate the review effort, since every thing has to be reviewed twice (once to be admittted into the plugin branch; once to be transported from plugin branch to trunk). And review time (& reviewers effort) is the most scare resource in GCC.

Or did I miss something obvious?

Nothing against Diego effort, just a possible mine misunderstanding ! I was thinking that patching the trunk for plugins would be the easiest way.

Thanks to all (and sorry for my bad english).

Regards.

membre de l'APRIL "promouvoir et dÃfendre le logiciel libre"
Rejoignez maitenant plus de 4000 adhÃrents http://www.april.org