Re: Plugin API Comments (was Re: GCC Plug-in Framework ready to port)

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 01:59 -0500, Sean Callanan wrote:

> Our plugins do not break when switching compiler binaries.  In fact, I
> have had plug-in binaries that perform very simple tasks work fine
> when switching (minor!) compiler releases.

Thinking about this made me realise that the plugin framework will
require special consideration for utilities like ccache and distcc.
ccache checksums (or at least stats) the cc1 binary to decide whether a
cached object file is valid.  If you change a plugin, the cc1 binary
won't change, but the generated code probably will.

Ben