Re: GCC & OpenCL ?

Andrey Belevantsev wrote:

> Obviously, a library is not enough for a heterogeneous system, or
> am I missing anything from your description?  As I know, e.g. there is
> no device-independent bytecode in the OpenCL standard which such a
> backend could generate.

That's correct.  I was envisioning a proper compiler that would take
OpenCL input and generate binary output, for a particular target, just
as with all other GCC input languages.  That target might be a GPU, or
it might be a multi-core CPU, or it might be a single-core CPU.

Of course, OpenCL also specifies some library functionality; that could
be provided in a library that included hand-written assembly code, or
was generated by some non-GCC tool.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery