Re: GCC & OpenCL ?

Michael Meissner wrote:

> I am just starting to think about adding OpenCL support into future versions of
> GCC, as it looks like a useful way of programming highly parallel type systems,
> particularly with hetrogeneous processors.  At this point, I am wondering what
> kind of interest people have in working together on OpenCL in the GCC compiler?

We (CodeSourcery) have been talking to our commercial partners about
implementing OpenCL in GCC and trying to develop/assess the level of
interest.  As others have stated, our theory of operation here would be
to have the compiler depend on a library API that could be implemented
for GPUs or for ordinary multi-core CPUs.  (Just as the libgomp API
could be provided to the compiler without depending on POSIX threads.)
Certainly, if there are others on this list interested in working on
this, we'd be interested in talking to them.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery