Re: GCC Plug-in Framework ready to port

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009, Diego Novillo wrote:

> > Where would plugin-centric enhancements such as improvements to the pass
> > manager go? i think it'd be useful to have them land in the plugin branch to
> > make sure the API is satisfactory.
>
> How about <root>/gcc/plugins/<plugin-name>?  Maybe we could categorize
> the 'plugins' directory, but I don't think it makes sense to apply too
> much hierarchy this early in the game.

I don't see how that answer relates to the question.

The question "Where" seemed to me to be asking "On what branch", and the
plugin branch seems find - but so does trunk once 4.4 has branched.

As plugin-centric enhancements as described seem to be changes to existing
GCC source code (providing infrastructure of potential use to multiple
plugins), they don't have a single plugin-name, so the path you gave
doesn't make sense as a path within the GCC source code.  It might make
sense for a path within the GCC source code to plugins distributed with
GCC, however.

As for installation directories, I've already noted that plugins should be
installed under libsubdir or libexecsubdir since they will depend on both
the target and version of GCC.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com