Re: __Unwind_GetIPInfo on Darwin 8.11

On 26/11/2008, at 4:16 PM, Jack Howarth wrote:

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 01:22:35PM -0800, Geoffrey Keating wrote:
Jack Howarth <howarth@bromo.med.uc.edu> writes:

Iain,
 The use of the system libgcc simply won't work on Mac OS X 10.4.
The missing __Unwind_GetIPInfo only exists in libgcc_s.10.5.dylib
and not libgcc_s.10.4.dylib...

Replacing or modifying the system libgcc is not recommended and may
break in the next version of Mac OS X. It's not clear to me what this
will mean for GCC development.

You can see the exact commands the regression tester used in the build
log file at
<http://gcc.gnu.org/regtest/HEAD/native-lastbuild.txt.gzip>; basically,

+ /Users/regress/tbox/svn-gcc/configure --prefix=/Users/regress/ tbox/objs --target=powerpc-apple-darwin8.5.0
+ make -j2 bootstrap
+ make -j2 -k check

No extra flags, no moving stuff around, nothing added or deleted from
the GCC source tree; that would defeat the purpose of the regression
tester, which is to test the actual GCC in the repository.  There is
some strangeness in the system configuration: GMP and MPFR are
installed in /usr/local as static libraries, and I seem to
remember the system is running with a modified kernel, containing a
patch which makes dejagnu work, which is why it's running 10.4.5.

10.4.11 is significantly different from 10.4.5 and from 10.5.  I
believe it adds a shared libgcc and libstdc++.  It may be that GCC
does not work on 10.4.11.

You can find the exact scripts the tester uses to run the build in
contrib/regression in the GCC source tree.  The tester checks out the
tree and runs the scripts from the checkout.

Geoff,
I think you misunderstood my intention with that statement. I wasn't
suggesting that Iain move a libgcc.so.10.5.dylib onto a different machine.
Rather I meant that the offending symbol, __Unwind_GetIPInfo, was only added
to the system libgcc for 10.5 so that Tiger's system libgcc would never
be able to provide it.

I should correct an earlier statement of mine: 10.4.11 does not add a shared libgcc. My 10.4.5 machine has a shared libgcc which indeed does not have __Unwind_GetIPInfo. However, this does not prevent GCC building on it.