RE: Repeat messages (was Re: broken svn commit logs and how to fix them)

NightStrike wrote on 27 August 2008 02:17:

> On 8/26/08, David Daney wrote:
>> Paul Koning wrote:
>>> I'm seeing messages on this list repeating over and over (several
>>> minutes apart, maybe as much as 15 minutes or so).  I'm not sure if
>>> the are just messages from Manuel or also from others.
>>> Is it just me?  It seems to be specific to this list...
>>>

>> It seems that all the repeats are generated by gmail.com.  You will note
>> that NightStrike's messages are repeated as well.
>>
>> David Daney
>>

> Really?  I don't see that in the archives.

  I didn't check the archives, but it's absolutely gmail that's repeating.  I
checked the headers:

- Manu's first post:
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 07:47:57 -0700 (PDT)

- Manu's second post:
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 07:47:57 -0700 (PDT)

- Manu's third post:
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 07:47:57 -0700 (PDT)

- Manu's fourth post:
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 07:47:57 -0700 (PDT)

  As you see from the timestamps, 10.141.198.9 received the post only once,
but is trying repeatedly to hand it off to the outward-facing system
rv-out-0708.google.com.  This system forwards it to the list successfully each
time, but 10.141.198.9 doesn't realise that rv-out-0708 had accepted it, so it
retried later, where the same thing happened again.

  Anyway, all seems to have quietened down today.

    cheers,
      DaveK