Re: GCC Tests For ARM/Neon

Joseph S. Myers wrote:
On Wed, 6 Aug 2008, Joel Sherrill wrote:

Hi,

I have just posted the first gcc test results
for arm-rtems to gcc-testresults.
C/C++: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2008-08/msg00608.html
Ada: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2008-08/msg00601.html

There were a lot (2116) of "unexpected failures"
for C, but most (1997 by grep) appear to be because
the ep7312 is not a Neon CPU and the tests did not
even compiler.

As with other RTEMS test configurations, we are
passing an explicit CPU model CFLAGS (-mcpu=arm7tdmi).

Any suggestions on how this entire set of
tests can detect they don't apply?

They all use the arm_neon_ok effective target. Possibly that should check
that NEON is enabled when passing -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp (i.e. that
__ARM_NEON__ is defined) rather than simply that the compiler does not
give an error, if the problem is that your multilib options (passed after
the options specific to the tests) disable NEON. Or if the combination is
simply incompatible, possibly the compiler should be giving an error for
it.
I see the code for arm_neon_ok.  If I can make that test fail,
we are in business.  I tried the cpp part of the following code
and it doesn't trip for:

arm-rtems4.9-gcc -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp -mcpu=arm7tdmi -c test_neon.c

But when I added the "neon_code" function with the
assembly code gas didn't like in one of the tests, I
get a compilation error.

Do you have any better suggestion on how to make
arm_neon_ok fail?  Or is this OK to add to the
macro?

==========================

#if !defined(__ARM_NEON__)
#error "Neon not supported"
#endif

void neon_code(void)
{
 asm volatile ("vldr d18,[fp,#-32]");
}
--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

  Support Available             (256) 722-9985