Re: gimple type system

Kenneth Zadeck <zadeck@naturalbridge.com> writes:

> >> Anyway, there must be other uses of types in either the existing middle end
> >> or that people have dreams of adding to the middle end in the future.   Now
> >> is the time to raise your hand before the design has been started.

Hi,

for me its great use will be to introduce set type debugging into gm2.
At the very minimum it would be nice to be able to define a word sized
bit set which the middle and back end can consider it to have the
properties of "unsigned int" however the debugging info emitted needs
to say that this word is really a set type of some lower and upper
bounds and subtype.

But how this is done via an API is up to you :-).  My initial thoughts
would be for the front end to be able to define this unsigned int
"fake" type and obtain a unique handle.  The front end would then need
to also maintain the debugging stubs for the type (say dwarf2 and
stabs) which will be invoked by some call back mechanism during the
back end.  But I readily admit this is a little messy..

regards,
Gaius