Re: gcc will become the best optimizing x86 compiler

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 12:15 PM, Agner Fog <agner@agner.org> wrote:
> Hi, I am doing research on optimization of microprocessors and compilers.
> Some of you already know my optimization manuals (www.agner.org/optimize/).

Sorry but I'm not buying.

The Sun Studio 12 compiler with Solaris 10 on AMD Opteron or
UltraSparc beats GCC in almost every single test case that I have
seen.  On the same hardware. Regardless of a single threaded test case
or a multi-threaded test case. The differences do occur with file IO
and with situations where peripherals get involved but for pure number
crunching and pushing data around in heaps of memory I simply have not
seen GCC ever do as well as Sun Studio 12 or even Sun Studio 10.

Also, you have provided no data at all.  So your assertions are those
of a marketing person at the moment.  Please post some code that can
be compiled and then tested with high resolution timers and perhaps we
can compare notes.

Dennis Clarke