size of array "" is too large

Hello,
I see that in x86 GCC, you can define a structure with

struct trial
{
  long a[1000000000];
};

Whereas in a 16-bit target (picochip), you cannot define,

struct trial
{
  long a[10000];
};

In the case above, i get a
"size of array ‘a’ is too large" error.

The thing that took me by surprise was, if i split the structure to

struct trial
{
  long a[5000];
  long b[5000];
};

This works fine.

I looked around the mailing list a bit. This issue seems to have been raised a few times before, but i couldnt find any definitive answer.

Is this a bug in GCC? Do i file a report?

Cheers
Hari