Re: Feature request - a macro defined for GCC

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008, Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote:

> The __GNUC__ macro serves two different purposes:
>
> 1. permitting the extremely useful GCC languages extensions which, for sad and
> various reasons, did not enter any official C standard (in particular,
> computed gotos, statement exprs, typeof....). We might add the extended asm
> instruction here also. I guess it is the most common use of __GNUC__.

Note that the view was expressed at the London WG14 meeting (going through
a list of extensions considering what might be worth putting in C1x) that
statement expressions and typeof might be worth standardising.  This does
not of course mean that anyone will produce a concrete proposal to add
appropriate words to the standard, or that such a proposal will be
accepted for C1x.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com