Re: gcc-in-cxx branch created

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008, Arnaud Charlet wrote:

> >> How can maintainers ensure this does not happen?
> >
> > What is your suggestion, stay with C?  It doesn't have type safe enums
> > either.
>
> One possibility is to do what we do for Ada: have a style/coding checker
> built into the compiler (C++ front-end) as a special switch, and enable this
> switch during bootstrap, so that any such coding style violation is transformed
> into an error (actually a warning, transformed then into an error with -Werror).

I've thought such a thing would be useful for C style as well.

One slight complication is that while a limited subset of C++ should be
fine for most of the compiler, there may be a use for many more features
(provided those features are still supported by the baseline bootstrap
compiler version, e.g. 3.4) in selected areas that provide infrastructure
for use in the rest of the compiler (just as now we have complicated
macros in vec.h, and maintainers need not care most of the time about the
implementations of them, just about how to use them).  So you may have
features that should not be freely spread throughout the compiler but
should be allowed for particular pieces of code only.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com