Re: Should we remove java from the default bootstrap languages?

Richard Guenther wrote:
On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 12:50 AM, Richard Kenner
<kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu> wrote:
Fundamentally, our philosophy has been to catch errors *before* they get
into the repository.  Sure one day of breaking the trunk isn't so bad, but
when it breaks it affects hundreds of developers and it adds up.  Everyone
separately either stops and waits, or tracks down which patch it was and
reverts it so they can continue working.
An interesting question that I see as relevant here and for which I have no
data is: what percentage of the time does a patch cause an error *only*
in libjava?   I think you have to weigh the cost of the build of that
library against the number of bugs that it finds.

Happened to me multiple times.
Similarly.

The thing to tackle is to make libjava build more parallel.
I think this applies across the board, including the testsuites.

jeff