Re: Should we remove java from the default bootstrap languages?

On 6/21/08, Diego Novillo <dnovillo@google.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 11:39, H.J. Lu <hjl.tools@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It takes about 50 minutes to bootstrap gcc with -j4 on a Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz
> > with default language, both 32bit and 64bit enabled. If I use
> > --enable-checking=assert,
> > it takes 25 minutes. Given the price of quad core today, there is no
> > reason no to
> > use quad core for gcc build.
>
> Irrelevant.

How is that irrelevant?  If the argument is that libjava takes too
long to build on modern hardware, and someone else has a different
view of what is modern hardware where the original argument is
invalid... what makes your view "correct" and HJ's view "incorrect"?

For comparison, I build with -j12 on an 8 core machine in 4 minutes.