Re: Should we remove java from the default bootstrap languages?

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 12:41 AM, Kaveh R. Ghazi <ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> Fundamentally, our philosophy has been to catch errors *before* they get
> into the repository.  Sure one day of breaking the trunk isn't so bad, but
> when it breaks it affects hundreds of developers and it adds up.

But, for languages that are not enabled by default, no-one is directly
affected except the people who might have caused the breakage, and the
people who are working on the broken part of the compiler. In the case
of java, there are not hundreds but only a handful of people working
on it.

> I don't like the idea of taking java out, but if we do I suggest we swap in
> objc++.  That would only add 42 seconds to the bootstrap and test process.
> :-)

Exchange one unused language for another, great idea :-)  I'd rather
see objc++ go away completely, since Apple is clearly not keeping its
promise to maintain it, and AFAIK no-one else uses this language.

Gr.
Steven