Re: 4.3.0 and 4.3.1 don't build startfiles (crtXXX.o files)

On Sunday 08 June 2008 22:41, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> > Then, running "make all-target-libgcc" built them, but I finally settled
> > for just "make" - it didn't error out.
>
> Yes, the advantage of Paul's suggested process are not only that the
> installations are reproducible and always use the complete feature set
> of the underlying libc (that's the big part), but also that "make" just
> works and you are more shielded from changes in the build system.

What is Paul's suggested process? I just reread his post again
and it contains no suggestions what to do, it was useful in
other way: he explained where my understanding of build process
is incorrect:

> > As far as I know, toolchain is built in this order:
> >
> > 1. binutils
> > 2. C compiler
> > 3. libc
>
> No.
>
> That usually only works if you already have the toolchain installed. In which
> case ordering is irelevant, you can just build whichever component you want
> to update.
>
> A full bootstrap process looks more like:
>
> 1) Binutils
> 2) Whatever bits of compiler are required to produce...
> 3) libc headers
> 4) A basic C compiler+libgcc that is sufficient to build...
> 5) libc
> 6) A full compiler+runtime, c++, fortran, etc.

If someone is willing to expand on the above and explain what exactly
do I need to do in step 2, in step 3, in step 4, that would be helpful.
--
vda