Re: Bad code generation on HPPA platform

> From: Peter Bergner <bergner@vnet.ibm.com>
>
> On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 07:45 -0700, Steve Ellcey wrote:
> > I have found that this problem does not occur on the ToT sources and
> > that the problem went away with this patch:
> >
> >   2008-04-07  Peter Bergner  <bergner@vnet.ibm.com>
> >
> >        PR middle-end/PR28690
> >        * rtlanal.c: Update copyright years.
> >        (commutative_operand_precedence): Give SYMBOL_REF's the same precedence
> >        as REG_POINTER and MEM_POINTER operands.
> >        * emit-rtl.c (gen_reg_rtx_and_attrs): New function.
> >        (set_reg_attrs_from_value): Call mark_reg_pointer as appropriate.
> >        * rtl.h (gen_reg_rtx_and_attrs): Add prototype for new function.
> >        * gcse.c: Update copyright years.
> >        (pre_delete): Call gen_reg_rtx_and_attrs.
> >        (hoist_code): Likewise.
> >        (build_store_vectors): Likewise.
> >        (delete_store): Likewise.
> >        * loop-invariant.c (move_invariant_reg): Likewise.
> >        Update copyright years.
> >
> > I don't know if porting this patch to the 4.3 branch is an option or not
> > but it might be the easiest way to fix this problem without having to
> > revert Andrew's patch.
>
> Note that the rtlanal.c:commutative_operand_precedence() hunk was reverted
> because it caused some problems on CRIS and was replaced by the following
> safer change:
>
>     http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2008-04/msg00693.html
>
> Peter

I think that even with that hunk reverted this would fix the SPEC gcc
problem.  Unfortunately, I don't think it would fix the other problem I
have found which is that SPECint2000/253.perlbmk also fails.  I had
hoped that the gcc fix would also fix perl but that doesn't seem to be
the case.  With ToT GCC sources the SPEC GCC test passes but the
SPEC2000 and SPEC2006 perl tests appear to be going into infinite loops.

This only seems to be happening on the 64 bit HPPA platform, not on the
32 bit one.

I am trying ToT sources with Andrew's patch reverted to see if that
fixes the perl tests.

Steve Ellcey
sje@cup.hp.com