Re: IRA for GCC 4.4

Vladimir Makarov wrote:
Peter Bergner wrote:
On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 16:01 -0400, Vladimir Makarov wrote:
Thanks, Peter. That was clever and email is very enlightening. I have analogous idea for more compact conflict matrix representation. IRA builds allocno live ranges first (they are ranges of program points where the allocno lives). I can use this information for fast searching potential conflicts to sort the allocnos. Probably the matrix will be even more compact because live ranges contain more detail info than basic blocks where the local allocnos live. For example, the ranges even can show that allocnos local in the same block will never conflicts. It means that matrix even for fppp can be compressed.

You say you use your analogous idea now? Can you point me to the code?
I thought I heard you (maybe someone else?) that your conflict information
was much bigger than old mainline. If this is true and you are compacting
the bit matrix like I am, why is it so big?

I am currently working on bit matrix compression. It is not implemented yet. I hope it will be ready in a week.

vlad, this seems like the wrong way to go. i understand that you feel that it is a sign of weakness to use someone else's fully debugged and functional code rather than writing it from scratch, but every one else feels that (a) you could better spend your time working on the other issues that will be relevant to getting this thing in and (b) none of the other reviewers looks forward to just seeing a lot of the same code only different.

Kenny